Information for students
Does the Education Centre have a holiday period? How is personal data processed? Can you have help for participating in an online course? You will find answers to these and many other questions here.
When you enrol on a course you agree to abide by the following policies that aim to create solid grounds for adult education courses and to promote general satisfaction, safety, eagerness to study and good manners:
- You come to classes on time and in accordance with the instructions given by the teacher.
- When the lesson ends you tidy up your own seat and the class room.
- All students have a right to a safe studying environment, and therefore you conduct yourself in a friendly and considerate manner without bullying anyone.
- It is forbidden to disturb the teaching or act in an inappropriate manner.
- Threatening and violent behaviour are forbidden.
- Use of alcohol or other intoxicating substances and being under the influence of such substances is forbidden. Any instances of narcotics are always reported to the police.
- The students are obliged to immediately report any detected instances of bullying, disturbance or violence to the teacher or other member of the staff.
- Smoking and the use of other tobacco products within the school premises is forbidden.
- The Institute’s property must be handled with care. Any damage to the property must be reported to the teacher or other member of the staff.
- The students are reliable for any damage they intentionally cause.
- The course fees must be paid by due date.
Any breach of these policies may result in withholding the right to participate on courses.
School year, holidays and days off
The year at the Adult Education Centre consists of two semesters: the autumn semester from 01.08. to 31.12. and the spring semester from 01.01. to 31.07. Courses start through the academic year. Information about the start and end of the courses is provided for each course at ilmonet.fi
The duration of the course is generally specified in the number of classes. The duration of one class is 45 minutes.
Holidays and days off at the Adult Education Centre
During the winter holiday week (week 8) and autumn holiday week (week 42) the teaching is not carried out (exceptions are specified in the information on the course). No teaching is carried on the following days as well:
- All Saints’ Day
- Independence Day
- Holy Thursday
- Good Friday
- Easter Monday
- May Day eve
- May Day
- Ascension Day
No teaching is generally carried out on the eves of the holidays as some of the teaching locations are closed at that time. You can check the teaching sessions of the course via the ilmonet.fi service or our customer support.
The distant learning programs used in the courses of the Vantaa Adult Education Centre are Microsoft Teams, Zoom and online teaching platform It’s Learning.
Microsoft Teams and Zoom are applications used in the classes carried out online ‘live’, that is, the teacher and the students are together online for a designated period of time. The classroom where they meet is then Zoom or Teams. You will be e-mailed a link by which you will be able to access the class.
It’s Learning is an online teaching platform. It is an online “classroom”, where the teacher uploads assignments that the students do and where the completed assignments can be easily uploaded. The assignments uploaded can be texts, videos or audio recordings. You will receive comments about the tests you have uploaded either from another student, several students or the teacher. The assignments in the online course can also be done and uploaded in cooperation with other students.
The course teachers can also independently decide upon the use of other platforms. If any other platform is specified in the information on the course, the teacher of the course will guide you on its use.